Sunday 13 June 2010

Day Four


I'm telling everyone I want Germany to win

It makes people so angry
when I say how plucky and well organised they are.

"I hope it's Germany" I say
drawing out my team in the sweepstake at work.

"England" I say, unfolding the piece of paper, all disappointed.
"They don't have a chance."

I laugh at Ben who has drawn Spain.
"No way!" I say. "This is the year of the Germans."

"I know one team that's good at penalties"
I say to Ben when he mentions Chris Waddle. He ignores me.

I wear the 1990 West Germany shirt on dress down Friday.
The lady who collects money for the local hospice refuses my pound.

"Would anyone like some of my Currywurst?" I ask at lunch.
"You're from Kent" Ben says.

"Why do you keep going on about Germany?"
you should have seen how red his face was.

No comments:

Post a Comment