Tuesday 22 June 2010

Day 12

I'm writing a poem a day during the World Cup. This is written during Argentina v Greece.

Listening to Alan Green in the bath

I'm at that age now
where I'd rather listen to Five Live in the bath
than go to the pub
get a bit pissed
and sing 3 Lions on the way home.

I've got some rosemary and eucalyptus Radox
it's nice
you should try it
Mike Ingham hands over to Alan Green midway through the first half
and I dunk my head
and think of those trying to get to the bar
and their view restricted by pillars and pillocks

and at half time when it's Rachel Hodges with the news
and Pat Murphy with an update from the cricket
I reach over to top up my gin and tonic
and scrub my back with a scrunchy
and think those people at the game
are going to be in that car park for hours
and I bet those hot dogs at the ground are pretty expensive

and even one of Mark Lawrenson's puns makes me chuckle
and I think this is the best way to watch football
with your eyes closed
pushing the hot water tap with your big toe
for the occasional refill
Mike Ingham hands over to Alan Green midway through the second half
and I look at my hands
I am starting to get wrinkly.

1 comment:

  1. Loser!
    I can do extra-time & penalties in the bath.
    I've been known to throw-in a quick 606.

    ReplyDelete