Tuesday 22 June 2010

Day 11

The day you met Denis Bergkamp

You told me the best day of your life
was when you met Denis Bergkamp in the furniture department
of John Lewis's
and you went over to show him you Arsenal keyring
and rolled up your trousers to show him the lucky socks
you wore for every home game of the unbeaten 2003 / 2004 season.

I've heard you tell this story probably ten times now
and although it's nice you got to meet your hero
he was just a man out shopping
and it's not really something to dine out on
but whenever there's the slightest chance to tell your story
you announce to people you barely know
"Have I told you about the time I met Denis Bergkamp?"

So I've decided it's time for you to have more stories
so on the first home game of next season
you won't go to The Emirates
I'm taking you to Amsterdam
the birthplace of Denis Bergkamp
and you will not mention him once
instead we will see what happens
and you won't try and find out how Arsenal are doing
and by the end of the night you won't even care.

No comments:

Post a Comment